- In collaboration with Project Concern Hong Kong, the programme is designed for practicing dental surgery assistants or those aspiring dental surgery assistants;
- The programme is taught by experienced dentists, senior dental surgery assistants or qualified medical service/ dental professionals provided by Project Concern Hong Kong;
- There are 29 hours’ clinical training and 10 hours’ clinical practice with emphasis of both theory and practice;
- Taught in Cantonese supplemented with English. Teaching materials are in Chinese supplemented with English.
Fundamentals of Dental Surgery Assisting
A. Lecture (6 sessions, total 18 hours)
i.Basic dental theory and career prospect
ii.Facility, equipment and operation in dental clinics
iii.Infection control and sterilization procedures
iv.Handling skills of emergency cases
v.Customer service and communication skills
vi. Clinical technique training
B. Clinical practice in a dental clinic (total 6 hours)
ii.Basic dental instrument
ix.X-ray and OPG
C. Dental Health Education Project (total 6 hours)
Advanced Skills of Dental Surgery Assisting
A. Lecture (8 sessions, total 24 hours)
i.Dental theory: tooth anatomy, periodontal charting
ii.Endodontics and impression
iii.Occupational Safety and Health
iv.Digital scanning and dental materials
v.Skills: complaint handling, appointment, inventory control, patient record keeping
vi.Introduction to orthodontics
vii.Basic pharmacology, anesthesia and pain control, sedation, Special Needs Dentistry
viii.Introduction to oral & maxillofacial surgery, oral pathology and implant
B. Clinical Practice in a Dental Clinic (max. 23 students per group) (9 sessions per group, total 26 hours)
i.Scaling, suction and rubber dam
ii.Amalgam and loading matrix band, mixing IRM
iii.Composite, revision of amalgam and LA
iv.Minor Oral Surgery and scalpel, elevator
v.Root Canal Treatment
vi.Denture (I) Impression
vii.Denture (II) Crown & Bridge
viii.X-ray film holder, digital x-ray and Oral Hygiene Instructions
C. Clinical Training (2 sessions, total 10 hours)
i.Daily operation in dental clinics or mobile dental vans
Professional Qualification and Recognition
- Certificate of the Attainment will be issued by Lingnan Institute of Further Education and Project Concermn to those students who have attended 80% or above of the class and passed each of the course assessment
- This course is recognized under the Qualifications Framework (QF level 3)，QR Registration No.:18/000545/L3
1. Level 2 in five HKDSE subjects including Chinese Language and English Language or equivalent; or
2. Satisfactory completion of Diploma Yi Jin; or
3. Aged 21 or above at the commencement of the programme plus minimum 1-year health related working experience; or
4. Other equivalent qualifications to be assessed by LIFE
Course Fee :
HK$14,600 per programme
Applicants are required to post the below listed documents within three days upon submission of online application form. Please post to Lingnan Institute of Further Education (Address: Room 301, Lau Chung Him Building, Lingnan University, Tuen Mun, N.T.), specifying “Lifelong Learning Programme Course Application - the name of the course”.
(1) Two separate cheques for Application Fee and Tuition Fee (Please make crossed cheque or bank draft payable to “Lingnan University”. Post-dated cheque is not acceptable. Please write down the applicant’s name, HKID card no. and name of programme on the back of the cheque.)
(2) Copies of academic transcripts
(3) Copies of certificate of employment
(4) Original copy of Continuing Education Fund (CEF) "Statement of Consent Form" (if applicable)
Applications will be processed only upon receipt of the completed application form, copies of supporting documents (if specified), and crossed cheques of application fee (if specified) and tuition fee. If the cheque is rejected by bank, the applicant concerned will be required to settle the tuition fee within three working days upon receipt of notification from the Institute. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of enrollment or suspension from taking subsequent classes.Unless otherwise notified, applicants are expected to be present for class at the time and place indicated in LIFE website or the leaflet. In the event of any inconsistency between the online version and the leaflet version, the online version shall prevail.
Project Concern Hong Kong
Project Concern Hong Kong (PCHK) was established in 1961 to promote primary health care and health promotion activities. PCHK has been providing dental services since 1971.
Continuing Education Fund(CEF)
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
This course is recognised under the Qualifications Framework (QF Level 3).
Eligibility of Application for Continuing Education Fund (CEF) Reimbursement
If applicant would like to apply for the Continuing Education Fund (CEF) Reimbursement (if applicable), please download the CEF "Statement of Consent Form” on the Institute website and submit the completed "Statement of Consent Form" with the abovementioned documents and cheques when applying the programme. The application would only be processed upon the submission of the signed original copy of the Continuing Education Fund (CEF) "Statement of Consent Form" to the Institute before the course commencement.
Upon successful completion of the CEF course*, to apply for reimbursement, the applicant is required to submit the completed CEF Application Form to the Office of the Continuing Education Fund (OCEF) with the required documents within one year upon successful completion of a CEF Course. Please follow the notice and instruction from the Institute email or to refer to the Institute CEF webpage (please see the link below) when completing the CEF application form. Enclose the required items with the completed CEF Application Form in an A4 size envelope and submit the envelope to Lingnan Institute of Further Education (Room 301, Lau Ching Him Building, Lingnan University) in person or by post. The Institute will return the institution certified CEF Application Form to the applicant within 20 working days by post. Failure to provide the required document(s) or complete information may result in delayed application.
*“Successful completion of a CEF course” means that the applicant must have attended no less than 70% of the contactable hours of the course or such higher attendance requirement as prescribed for the course (whichever is higher), and attained an overall mark of either 50% or such higher percentage of assessment(s) as prescribed for the course (whichever is higher)
For more detailed information for Continuing Education Fund (CEF) Reimbursement, please refer to: "Continued Education Fund (CEF)" in our website.