Bad Weather Arrangements for Classes/Activities and Examinations
(Applicable to all full-time and part-time students) (只備英文本)
1. When Typhoon Warning Signal No. 1 or 3 or the Amber/Red Rainstorm Warning Signal is issued by the Hong Kong Observatory, all classes/activities (including Life Enrichment and Appreciation Programme (LEAP)) and examinations should be held as scheduled. As soon as the Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 or Black Rainstorm Warning Signal is issued or “Extreme Conditions” is announced by the Government or when the Hong Kong Observatory announces that Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 or above is likely to be hoisted during office hours, the Office of Campus Development and Management will transmit the information immediately to all departments and units.
2. The arrangements in case of Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 or above/Black Rainstorm Warning Signal/“Extreme Conditions” for classes/activities/examinations conducted face-to-face on campus or in hybrid* mode are as follows:
(a) For classes/activities and examinations not yet started
|When Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 or above is in force or likely to be issued (as announced by the Hong Kong Observatory)/Black Rainstorm Warning is in force/"Extreme Conditions" is announced by the Hong Kong Government:
|Anytime between 6:00 a.m. and 10:59 a.m.
|All classes/activities and examinations commencing before 1:30 p.m. will be cancelled/postponed.
|Anytime between 11:00 a.m. and 3:59 p.m.
|All classes/activities and examinations commencing from 11:00 a.m. and before 6:30 p.m. will be cancelled/postponed.
|At 4:00 p.m. or after
|All classes/activities and examinations commencing from 4:00 p.m. onward will be cancelled/postponed.
|When Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No.8 or above is likely to be issued within two hours (as announced by the Hong Kong Observatory)/"Extreme Conditions" is announced by the Hong Kong Government:
|When Black Rainstorm Warning is in force:
|All classes/activities should be suspended. Students should return home or take shelter in a safe place without delay.
|The classes/activities will continue unless the inclement weather affects the safety of students.
|An examination already in progress will continue unless the Chief Invigilator is advised by LIFE that it should be terminated.
* For hybrid mode, both on-campus face to face and real time online options are offered simultaneously.
3. Online classes/activities/examinations will be held as scheduled in the above-mentioned conditions unless otherwise advised by course teachers/activity coordinators, but parties responsible for conducting online classes/activities/examinations will not return to the campus in the above-mentioned conditions under which classes/activities/examinations conducted on campus or in hybrid mode are postponed/cancelled.
4. For other situations of emergency, classes/activities and examinations may also be cancelled/postponed upon announcement by the University through broadcasting.
5. Examinations postponed will be held on the day right after the end of the examination period. A re-schedule of the examinations affected will be announced through Registry notice.
Revised on 9 Oct 2023